the end

December 1, 2016

Well, I did it! I managed to write 26 out of November’s 30 days. That’s a score of 87%, which is an A grade. I can live with that. I’m not going to lie to you, this was the hardest Nablopomo I’ve ever done. It just happened to be one of those months when I had a thousand balls up in the air and some came crashing down and others are still floating up there. I’m not a very good juggler. Don’t ever let me join the circus.

There just wasn’t any oomph this year. No pizzaz. No get-up-and-go. The little gusto that I started with began to peter out somewhere around day two. I sometimes think I peaked, creatively speaking, in my early 30s. The last time I felt proud of something I’d written or photographed was after our honeymoon. Since then, there’s been a slow, but perceptible, decline. There’s probably some bell curve or historiometric data out there to prove my theory. But then again, they say some authors find their greatest inspiration in middle age. Who knows, maybe after raising children and going through menopause, I’ll come out the other side enlightened, brimming with ideas. Maybe I haven’t peaked. Maybe I’m just dormant at the moment, waiting for the right conditions to bloom.

Thanks so much to everyone who read and commented and cheered me on from the sidelines this past month. I’ve crossed the finish line. Hurray! Someone hand me one of those silver blankets and a sports drink. I’m going to go stretch and recover. I’ll see you all next week.

P.S. I just realised that it’s the first of December today, which means that I didn’t even have to write this post. Screw the sports drink, pass the bottle of wine!

1. Alison permalink
    December 1, 2016 10:55 pm

You did GREAT! And speaking for myself you are still one of my favorite writers. I know how hard it was for you this year and 26 out of 30 days was fantastic considering the crazy juggling. You are a superwoman Mrs Stewart and I sincerely hope I don’t have to wait for your menopause for more writing cuz I don’t think I can hang on that long. šŸ™‚ But between raising a child and writing if you had to choose, being a mama would be best because you are a great mama and one only has to see the little bird to know it. So maybe for now just some lovely photos and a sentence or two would do to give us, the readers who are hooked on you, our fix. šŸ™‚ xxoo

2. Alison permalink
    December 1, 2016 10:56 pm

P.S. The photo. WOW! Perfect for inspiration and for the last post of nablopomo.

3. December 1, 2016 11:22 pm

Congratulations…and YAY a bonus post! I know how hard it is to write every single day. I strive to do it again, knowing full well that it could never get close to what you do here. You are magnificent! Cheers!

4. swisssirja permalink
    December 2, 2016 6:30 am

Yeay! Congrats!
    What curve are you talking about??????? What being dormant?????? Your writing is amazing, so inspiring. I loved every single post, been following you faithfully from the Swiss Alps šŸ™‚ i will miss your daily posts, i know you won’t, but I guess I better start reading your blog from the first post till the last … to keep me inspired.
    Thank you so much, dear Jeanine!

5. Karin permalink
    December 2, 2016 10:27 pm

Did I say this already? Some of my most creative times happened right alongside my kids as they grew up, starting with nursery school and right on through elementary school. Creativity comes in many forms. What you’re in right now is the most intense difficult wonderful time with your daughter. It’s exhausting and takes up all or most of every day and many nights and almost every bit of head space. It can really affect ones motivation. Don’t worry, I know it feels the way it does right now, but it’s temporary. You’ll see šŸ˜‰ Do I sound like an annoying mom? I’m really not. Ha.
    I’ve loved November with Jeanine! Thanks for the effort you put in. You nailed it!

6. alison s permalink
    January 9, 2017 9:18 pm

oh jesus I saw the title and for a mo I thought you were ending the blog; was very sad for a few seconds.