tea and biscuits

November 17, 2016

I never do this. Brew a cup of tea, grab a couple of ginger biscuits from the tin and flip trough a magazine or journal until I’ve stuck the last few cookie crumbs to the tip of my finger and sipped the last drop of tea.

Those couple of hours in the day when Wren is sleeping are usually my Go-Go-Go hours. There’s a drill sergeant up there, calling the shots. Go, NOW! You have two hours, soldier, TWO HOURS (if you’re lucky) to get ALL THE THINGS DONE. Clean the house for the real estate agents, make the phone calls, apply for the jobs, reply to the emails and the text messages, research the nurseries.

But today, I stopped. It is blowing a hoolie out there. Yellow leaves are flying past my window. The sky is grey. The tall tree across the street is almost bare. I didn’t even notice it slowly undressing, so busy I was with the busyness of doing. And so I lit a candle, brewed a cup of tea, grabbed a couple of ginger biscuits from the tin and flipped through A Year Between Friends. I took 20 minutes for myself without an agenda and, most importantly, without thinking about what I should be doing. Those 20 minutes were like a balm for my soul. Sometimes, I simply looked up from my book and watched the steam rolling off my cup or the sun poking out from behind the clouds and traveling up and down my wall. The flowers in the vase, the faded lily, the bunting that has been up (and really must come down) since June, the old clock that doesn’t tick, the hole in my sock where my second toe sticks out above all the others, the family photo, the wool blanket on the couch. A Year Between Friends* makes you stop and pay attention to the beauty in your own ordinary world. And it is such a wonderful stroll through the seasons. From pink blossoms to corn on the cob to piles of leaves at your feet and snow-filled forests. I’d be lying if I said it didn’t make me miss home. But although it was the catalyst, it was also the antidote to homesickness. I really must take 20 more often.

What small ritual do you do to take time for yourself?

*I wanted to make this book last, I really did. I wanted to taste just a bit of it every day. But I totally devoured it in a couple of sittings and now, I want to bake all the cakes and make all the crafts and live in all the photos.

1. November 18, 2016 7:20 pm

I have that book too and am savouring it in a way I normally would not with one of their books. I am taking my time with it. And when I am done, I will most likely grab another of their books off the shelf to browse through again. The book has me dusting off my camera again, documenting all the ways I can be mindful, and present, and in awe of the exquisite ordinary that is my daily life. I love knowing that you are over the other side of the planet, enjoying the book too. x

2. November 18, 2016 10:17 pm

What a treat. Good for you. I think you just persuaded me to get this book. xx

3. alison permalink
    November 18, 2016 10:39 pm

You could not have possible been kinder to yourself. Good on you!

4. November 19, 2016 2:26 am

I read blogs. I can’t read books or I get sucked in and never come out and then I would have starving children, no clean underwear, and I would lose my job. So I read blogs. Quick, and the writing is fabulous. And the PEOPLE are fabulous. It is my gift to myself. YOU are my gift!

5. Chris permalink
    November 19, 2016 4:08 am

I try to multitask so much even when it’s on “my own time” like this one time in band camp , oups I mean in my own house when I tried to Skype with my sister and do Halloween treat bags with my son and put some tea on the kettle. I almost burned my house down when my sister on the other end of the camera saw the flames 🔥 coming from the wrong burner I turned on!!! Priceless laughs (once the fire was put out). Haha

6. Karin permalink
    November 20, 2016 1:13 am

One of my favorite small rituals (besides reading everything you write!) is to sit out on the back patio in the sun (unfortunately or fortunately, depending on how one looks at it), it almost always sunny here and I read the New York Times front page, paper version. I don’t enjoy it as much now as I did before the election, but it’s still my own little private ritual. Don’t tell anyone, but often times I read out loud to myself 🙂