day 26: fictional places i wish existed
i’ve had my head in the clouds lately. actually, scratch that. clouds imply airy, fluffy, feet not touching the ground, la la la trailing along.
no. my head has not been in the clouds lately. it has been a tornado, a hurricane, a tsunami. my head feels like a natural disaster. a constant little hum of angst. life is very busy and i am buzzing along with it and everything that i should be taking time for has fallen to the wayside.
as humans, i think we forget that we are, in essence, animals. vertebrates of the class mammalia of the order of primate. a-nim-als. and i do believe that our natural instinct wants to follow the rhythms of nature. but in an age when people can reach you any time of day (and night) and with the pressures of ‘i need this on my desk yesterday‘, my inner compass has spun itself out of control and is stuck on north. i’ve lost my bearings.
the winds have been fierce lately. joe and i watch the clouds in the morning and even they seem to be moving faster than usual. everything around me is quite literally swirling and falling and changing. for all its beauty, autumn is a time of flux and little deaths. if i follow my earlier rationale, i suppose it’s normal that i would feel… deconstructed too. my instinct wants to prepare for the long hibernation ahead. my reality is 10,000 times faster than the slumber of hibernation.
all i know for certain is that this pace doesn’t feel right but i haven’t quite figured out what to do about it. so for now, i am simply going to escape to fantasy land, where it rains glitter and houses are made of lollipops and trees of popcorn and blue birds really do sing.
i’m going to escape to fictional places i wish existed:
- the valley of the truffula trees (the lorax)
- smurfland (mushroom houses in an enchanted forest? hello!)
- the shire
- amélie poulain’s apartment
- any set from any of wes anderson’s movies
- gingerbread houses (human size)
- the little mermaid’s underwater kingdom
- willy wonka’s chocolate factory
- pippi longstocking’s house, horse on the porch and all
- diagon alley (harry potter)
- one-eyed willie’s pirate ship (the goonies)
- the labyrinth in labyrinth
- the forest and cottage in legend
where would you escape to?