gratitude

October 11, 2011

It was a very different Thanksgiving weekend for me this year. There was no turkey, no pumpkin pie, no cranberry sauce. No mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, gravy or stuffing. No chrysanthemums at the front door. No friends and family gathered around the table giving thanks.

Still, turkey or no turkey, Thanksgiving is always a time of reflection for me. A time to stop and have a think about gratitude — namely, the everyday things. Because naturally, I am grateful for friends and family and health and love and all those things that most people are grateful for. But I do believe the measure of one’s happiness lies in one’s ability to not take the small stuff for granted. The little kindnesses. The simple moments that make up a life.

These days, I am grateful for:

1. Caitlin Moran’s book How To Be a Woman, which had me in hysterics.
  2. New running shoes.
  3. The smell of apple crumble baking.
  4. Revisiting old songs that remind me of my childhood.
  5. A weekend in the countryside. Reading by the fire. Riding in the back of a pick up truck. Learning how to make traditional Apple Charlotte.
  6. The highs after the lows.
  7. Indian summers.
  8. Expired black and white film.
  9. My photos being featured in this issue of Somerset Life magazine.
  10. Meeting an 80-yr old woman named Mary with a twinkle in her eye.
  11. Having time to write.
  12. The way the leaves smell this time of year. An almost clove like scent and the way it conjures up a potpourri of autumn smells: bonfires, pencil shavings, new textbooks, frost, curried pumpkin soup, hot apple cider.
  13. One hour film development (a godsend for the impatient).
  14. The salad I had for lunch.
  15. Waking up in his bed this morning. Crazy wind storm blowing outside. Wake up kisses on my back. And remembering how lucky we are… after all this time (corny, yes, but true).
What are you grateful for today?
  1. Alison permalink
    October 11, 2011 5:31 am

YOU!

The sound of dried leaves blown across the lawn by a sweet warm wind.
    Bright yellow leaves under a deep blue sky.
    The way plants and flowers in the yard start looking a little creepy this time of year just in time for Hallowe’en. 🙂
    Coffee on the porch in the morning during Indian Summer. Bliss!

Possibilities.

2. October 11, 2011 10:57 am

fresh salt bagels, cream cheese and a great metabolism (so far…)

3. October 11, 2011 2:38 pm

Today I’m thankful for tea and warm socks. Also finding a half eaten bag of licorice in my purse. 🙂

(PS. #15 is so beautiful. I wish you many many mornings just like that, and that you cherish each one.)

4. October 12, 2011 5:32 pm

I have the biggest crush on you

I am grateful for friendship, wine, conversations sitting cross-legged on the ground. For abundance in my life. For weekends away and weekends at home. For the sound of snoring in the bed next to me, that means my love is here and not anywhere else. For roast vegetables, warm nights, clean sheets, home baking. The way the sunlight catches the leaves causing me to step outside myself and really notice.

And for so many more things. Mostly for being alive and feeling it all.

x

5. October 13, 2011 4:11 am

Gorgeous! I’m grateful for your lovely comment on my blog today. Merci bien …

6. virginia caron permalink
    October 13, 2011 7:19 am

1. for family and friends …………………2.the wonderful color display of the fall leaves 3. the way the air has a fresh smell; at this time of the year. 4. the last hints of summer in these cooler fall evenings 5.the scent of apple pie or bread baking in the oven 6, seeing and feeling all these wonderful things makes me think how awesome my God is……….