a perfect mini-break

August 16, 2011

My cousin Amy couldn’t have said it better when she wrote: “It’s your first official “mini-break” as a local…just like Bridget Jones!! How romantic! I try to say that I’m going on a mini-break whenever we escape for the weekend, but it just doesn’t have the same ring here in Canada.

I don’t know what I expected but it most certainly wasn’t the Bristol International Balloon Fiesta. While some might be none too pleased to be woken at 6:00 am and taken on a 45 minute walk to an undisclosed location (without so much as a drop of caffeine and with a mere 5 hours of sleep), it felt like flipping Christmas day to me. He woke me and I was up in a dash, ready to boldly go wherever it was we were going. And this is why I love the boy — he never ceases to amaze me. It’s not about how much money you spend, it’s about being creative and enthusiastic, isn’t it? Sadly, the balloons didn’t launch Saturday due to poor weather conditions but they did take flight Sunday morning and it is a beautiful thing to watch them alight, to hear the sound of their breathing, to watch them suspended over England’s green hills. Next year, I hope to be sipping Champagne for breakfast in one of them.

Other weekend highlights include:

Swimming in ponds
Whiskey at The Clifton
Long hikes in the woods
Giant redwood trees
Finding (and eating) the motherload of black berries
Midday naps
Fish and chips by the sea
Belting out this song during Nightglow (I do love me some Journey)
Pizza for breakfast
Seeing Bristol (his old Uni stomping grounds) through his eyes
Planning our trip to Scotland on the long drive home

This mini-break is exactly what I needed! A little nature, a little lovin’ and a whole lotta lazing around. Perfect!

Next weekend… we go camping. Ah yissssss!

1. Emma permalink
    August 16, 2011 2:35 pm

Hi jeanine, what a lovely surprise! In my neck of the woods too ;0) Emma x

2. August 16, 2011 3:28 pm

oh Jeanine!!

I’m swinging wildly between loving and hating you right now.
    Your photos, exquisite (as always).

I could envy you, but it’s much more fun to admire you and be happy for all these adventures you are having.

3. August 16, 2011 3:53 pm

Wow! Those shots of the balloons are amazing! Sounds like a fantastic mini-break. 😀

4. August 16, 2011 4:39 pm

Oh, my, what a wonderful weekend! I love watching hot air balloons, it is so peaceful and almost silent. I love how you described it as “breathing” that is perfect! Camping next? I can’t wait to hear all about it. Your adventures bring a smile to my face!

5. Christina permalink
    August 17, 2011 12:40 pm

Sounds wonderful 🙂

6. Kathryn Guerriero permalink
    August 21, 2011 7:59 am

love love love love love love love these lovely photos your lovely adventures your lovely self! oh geez if you could only glimpse the inspiration you create in my heart, love love love to you.

7. August 23, 2011 11:09 pm

Sounds like a bloody brilliant getaway and swoon worthy photos as always!
    If you need some Scotland suggestions, let me know! 🙂