list 13: girl meets boy
Because internet cafes cost more than a university education and I am down to my last 10 minutes at $12 an hour, this post is going to be quick and dirty, people.
As many of you already know, I have been busy frantically getting ready for my trip to Iceland and though it was touch and go for a while due to volcanic tempter tantrum, I am now slowly making my way to the land of ice. Now for those of you who are new here, I should preface by saying that I am going to Iceland to meet a boy. Yes. I am meeting a boy in a country where the worst volcano to erupt in forever popped its lid. I could definitely over analyze and read into this situation but I am choosing to ignore it. I only listen to signs that serve my desires, the rest fall into the “coincidence” category.
So, I thought I would bring you up to speed on the Joe & Jeanine story, in chronological order. For those that already know this story, well, I apologize for the redundancy and encourage you to pour yourself a drink and do a little dance. It is Friday night, after all.
- Girl goes on 5-week backpacking trip in Europe. Her first stop is London where girl meets boy.
- Girl really likes boy. Boy really likes girl. Girl & boy hook up many double whiskeys later.
- Girl stays with boy for several nights then leaves boy in awkward moment at train station in Bristol. Girl does not think she will ever see boy again.
- But girl does not stop thinking about boy and signs point towards him relentlessly as she meanders across spain (see.. girl listens to signs when self-serving)
- Girl coaxes boy into meeting her in Rome at the end of her trip.
- Boy acquiesces to her request and meets girl in Rome one month later. As the place implies, it is a most romantic weekend.
- Girl flies back to Canada. Boy flies back to London.
- Nine months pass. Boy and girl communicate casually, never really expecting to see each other again.
- Then Miss Elizabeth comes into the picture. Cupid. The match maker. Direct descendant of Aphrodite.
- Before she knows it, girl is meeting boy again in Northern England for new year’s eve.
- Sparks fly between boy and girl.
- Within a month, boy and girl are planning next romantic rendez-vous.
- Boy and girl settle on Iceland pre-volcano chaos.
- Volcano erupts in Iceland. All hell breaks loose. Boy and girl simultaneously fret and stay sickingly positive through it all.
- Airports finally open up again. Boy and girl breathe a sigh of relief.
- The night before girl is scheduled to leave, she finds out that Iceland’s airport has suddenly closed due to volcanic ash.
- Girl still hauls ass at the crack of dawn to catch flight to JFK airport.
- During interminable 8-hour layover at JFK (where she still sits), she receives the status of her flight: Flying out tonight 8:30pm, except flying to Glasgow as opposed to Reykjavik. Arriving in Glasgow at 8:20am, then stuck at airport until 5:45pm when she flies to Northern Iceland, which will be followed by 4 hour bus ride to Reykjavik. Holy journey ahead.
- Meanwhile, independently, on the other side of the globe, boy finds out that his flight has also been rerouted to Glasgow and he is flying out at 6pm.
- Girl calls Iceland Air and is all “Yo! can I be on the same flight as Joe Stewart tomorrow at 6:00pm” (except much more sweet and polite) and badabing badaboom… boy and girl should be seated side by side in row 11 of flight FI415 Glasgow-Akureyri tomorrow night at 6pm.
To be continued. Needless to say, this has been one hell of an adventure and if things continue to go wrong, I may have to change my stance on the whole “coincidence” thing. Sheesh. Like, maybe the world is erupting and banging me over the head with clear signs. But the way I see it… maybe it’s just testing our will and the strength of our convictions. And so far, I’d say we’ve been pretty damn perseverant.
Now GIRL NEEDS DRINK, as attested by following chat with the lovely Miss Roma:
me: i see an airport bar in my future, like, in the next flipping hour. or maybe i should go to duty free. hmmm
roma: go to the airport bar. it’s an institution. you can always pick up some more at duty free when you start thinking it’s too expensive
me: by then i will be so drunk, nothing will seem expensive. i’ll be buying rounds for the stranded. off to get blog post done. (also sending love… fuck it, i’m tired and sentimental, deal with my show of affection)
roma: right back atcha, be good caron and have brilliant time. become one with the airport.
me: zen and the art of airport layovers
roma: i smell a blog post
me: working on 4 hours sleep. just call me the midnight packer. i never learn. ok. vai vai.
roma: ha am vaiing. perfect. the sleeping chair slump and buy a bib for the drool. talk later!