list 11: shutter happy

April 6, 2010

I was out with my camera the other day (no surprise there) and I noticed a pattern in things that I tend to photograph, like, incessantly. And it isn’t location specific. No matter where I find myself in there world, if I see one of the following, I have an uncontrollable urge to capture it with the click of a shutter. It’s magnetic. I can’t help it. Must. Take. Picture.

This week’s list: things towards which I invariably point the camera.

1. Bicycles. Bicycle handles, wheels, baskets, bells, pedals, seats… The more rickety and rusty, the better. And while we are on the subject, I must ask you if the milk crate phenomenon is indigenous to Montreal, or perhaps Canada? I have yet to see it elsewhere. But here in Montreal, it seems that 3-5% of bicycles (including my own) are supped up with a used milk crate at0p the back wheel. We need something to carry our wine, baguette and cheese in.

2. Feet. It’s not that I have a foot fetish, but there is something quite fun about taking a photo of where you stand at any given moment.  Set camera on ground. Step away. Press remote control and here you go:

3. Fruit and veggie stands. It’s where all the colors of the rainbow are.

4. Doors. I’m obsessed with them.

5. Cats. Especially those sitting on window sills, looking out longingly.

6. Hearts & love notes = joy.

7. Restaurant tables. When you can still see the mark of quiet conversation or uproarious laughter after the group has left.

Add that doesn’t even count lamp posts, flowers, train tracks, vintage signs, door knobs, kitchen and bathroom sinks, cemeteries, chairs and benches, chalkboards, window shutters, eggs, balloons, fire hydrants, couches left by the side of the road, abandoned buildings, gates, graffiti and street pigeons…

What makes you shutter happy?

1. April 6, 2010 12:59 pm

Wow, I’ve been staring at these for awhile and just love them and would so love to be walking with you someday taking photos along side…beautiful and such intimate photos. Crazy awesome!!!

xoxo

2. Johanne permalink
    April 6, 2010 1:01 pm

My favorites are the feet shots … You always make shoes and feet come alive in your photos ! 🙂

3. April 6, 2010 1:39 pm

Montreal is a great city, these shots are wonderful, so much fun, spring is amazing!!!

4. April 6, 2010 1:40 pm

Oh, you soooooooooo would have LOVED all of the beautifully ornate and rustic doors throughout Old San Juan. The pictures I have posted of Puerto Rico thus far doesn’t include any of them, but I will be sure to share a few just for you 😀

~WW

5. April 6, 2010 2:03 pm

close-ups of flowers, my children 🙂

6. Ashley Erin permalink
    April 6, 2010 4:22 pm

Bicycles make me shutter happy too. Mugs of coffee or tea, especially if they are pretty mugs. Flowers, spiders webs, shoes, nature, books, and hands are a few other things I like to take photos of.

7. April 6, 2010 8:23 pm

love the doors – with me the crustier and older the better.

8. April 6, 2010 9:22 pm

What is it about the certain things?!? It’s like the camera has a mind of its own….I really get this drawn to feeling as well….Trees especially! Flowers, cemetaries, train tracks, anything with a line of symmetry i.e. bridges, stairwells. Those are my go to shots.

9. April 7, 2010 4:23 am

love your photos even the ones with the cats and I am definitely not found of any pet pictures 😉

10. Janene Giuseffi permalink
    April 7, 2010 10:51 pm

the bike carton thing is not just montreal-ian. i live ohio, and they’re, like, almost passe here.

i will say that your photograhpy of them brings them back into style, fo sho.

love your blog!

janene

11. April 8, 2010 7:37 am

wonderful collection. definitely got me thinking about my own shutter happy list 🙂

xo Alison

12. April 11, 2010 7:09 am

the second one in the list of fruit and veggie stands. sigh. i want to be in that one so badly i can almost feel that sun on my face. beautiful.

did i tell you that your photos inspired me to buy a camera a while back? they did, and i did. now, i’m terrible. lol. but every time i look at your work i’m motivated to go out and keep playing with it. thanks. 🙂

13. April 11, 2010 5:56 pm

Your photographs continue to inspire and excite me. I sit and soak up their beauty and then i want to get out of the house and start snapping away!

i have read your blog for a year now, maybe i’ve commented once or twice? i am shy about doing this … but i have tagged you over on my blog. i hope that is not rude? but you have inspired me so … and there are odd connections (i found out about McCabe/dancing mermaid through your blogroll and have now taken 3 of her ecourses; have been in Susannah’s course and will be attending Squam next fall) and i wanted to acknowledge the impact your writing and photographs have had upon my journey.

anyway, the rules are here: http://dandelionseedsanddreams.blogspot.com/2010/04/tagged-im-it.html

really, you just pick the 10th picture in a file/group and blog about the story behind the image. i guess i am nudging everyone to show another photograph and tell another good tale.

in any event, i just wanted to say “thank you” for all that you have inspired through your example.

Lis

14. April 12, 2010 3:26 am

Hi, I bet you took the BW bicycles picture in Lucca (Italy)! I could recognise my city even blind 😉

I just found your blog and I started already to follow it, a very good job!

I don’t know yet at what I like to tale photos (I started some weeks ago…)

Thank you!

15. April 21, 2010 11:06 pm

I just adore the red bike ….. would you mind if I used it on my blog ?

16. May 20, 2010 6:48 pm

Wow! All these make me shutter happy too (except for the eggs, can’t say I’ve taken photos of eggs lately). I love your photos, so whimsical ❤