list 10: the makings of a perfect weekend

March 29, 2010

** Note that I meant to post this Monday morning, however the Internet was being ornery and had other plans for me, which involved much pulling of hair and little publishing of blog post **

As we roll out of bed into another Monday morning, I can’t help but reflect on a weekend well spent. Some Mondays are worse than others, particularly when you feel like you’ve done absolutely nothing with your precious weekend. And then there are those when, though not entirely ready to face another work week, you at least feel that you struck a perfect productivity to relaxation ratio with a sprinkle of socializing and a heap of good old fun.

Here are the 10 things that, to me, make for a perfect weekend:

1. Waking up without the alarm clock.
  2. Time spent in a coffee shop, whether alone with a novel, a notebook or a laptop or chatting over a bottomless cup with a friend.
  3. A long Sunday morning run. I am in the midst of training for the Ottawa half marathon at the end of May and am currently at the 16km mark. Nothing like getting a good run in the morning and feeding off the adrenaline and endorphins for the rest of the day.
  4. Good food, drink and conversation with friends. This weekend, I got to spend time listening to my friend Adam’s travel stories. He was in Montreal for a quick visit having just returned from a 4-month backpacking/hitchhiking trip in New Zealand. Note to self: must go to New Zealand.
  5. A yoga class set to live music on Saturday m0rning makes for an ideal start to the weekend.
  6. Getting the laundry done. Therein lies my sense of accomplishment, after which I am free to do as I wish. Groceries or sweeping also count, though it is not necessary to perform all tasks to feel entitled.
  7. A couple quiet hours with my camera. Discovering a new part of my city is an added bonus. This weekend, I discovered La Rue Coursol.
  8. Trying out a new brunch spot.
  9. A Skype chat with the English boy always puts a smile on my face.
  10. Pancakes, french toast or waffles are a must. It’s the weekend’s signature food. Its whole raison d’être. Toast is for Monday morning. Syrup has Sunday’s name written all over it.

Bonus: If a live music show, impromptu visit, long bath, new acquaintance or matinée on a rainy day squeeze their way into those two days… well then, that is like the holy grail of weekends. Also… striking up a conversation with a stranger who happens to be a photographer who offers you all the film in her freezer (albeit expired) so that you can experiment freely with your new Pentax K1000? Icing on the weekend’s cake.

What’s your favorite thing to do on the weekend?

1. March 30, 2010 4:29 am

I love this list.

My favorite things to do on the weekend are:
    To stay in bed long after I woke up
    To have lunch in a little bistrot on Saturday
    To read for long hours
    To wander in Paris and discover new places
    To cook a new recipe
    To get together with friends with wine and good food
    And mostly to spend time with my son

2. March 30, 2010 8:49 am

these photos are wonderful! the flowers, the food, the light, the patterns…lovely!

on my weekends i mostly spend my time catching up on TV, drinking too much coffee, having late night conversations, and the best one you mentioned: waking up without an alarm clock. heaven.

xo Alison

3. Alison permalink
    March 30, 2010 11:09 am

Favorite thing hands down, taking all the time I want over coffee while catching up on my reading.
    As for my alarm clock, as soon as it rings on Friday morning I shut it off and stuff it in a drawer until Sunday night. I don’t even want to see it.

4. March 30, 2010 1:30 pm

1) no alarm (isn’t that universal)
    2) waking to quiet and sunshine
    3) bagel with cream cheese and red seedless grapes for breakfast
    4) a book I can’t put down

Those are the things I love for weekends no matter what. Sometimes I like the quiet, unplanned ones, and sometimes I like the busy social having-a-party ones 🙂

5. March 30, 2010 2:06 pm

Note to self: be back in New Zealand when my gorgeous friend Jeanine goes there – so she can come stay and hang out. We’ll go for walks and spend lazy days sipping coffee in ALL the good local hangouts and sharing stories over lovely glasses of wine

x

weekends here in London aren’t a pinch of what they were in NZ – i’ve not been anywhere in the world (yet) that does as good a saturday or sunday brunch as the ones from home…

6. March 30, 2010 7:31 pm

Mmmm. I like this post.

Let’s see… no alarm, leisurely morning coffee accompanied by good conversation or enjoyed in silence, sitting in the sun writing my morning pages. I also like a good Saturday afternoon errand walkabout: bakery, grocery store, library, florist, farmer’s market in the summer and of course a stop at my favourite thrift shop. Oh and a bigass Sunday morning omelet.

ps – Let me know if you need a place to stay in Ottawa during the race weekend. Kudos to you for doing the Half!

7. Helena permalink
    March 30, 2010 8:58 pm

Saturday mornings in a café while my daughter is in her dance class has become such an important ritual to me. It’s nearly two hours of coffee, reading, people watching and letting go of the weeks stresses. Bliss!

8. March 31, 2010 10:11 am

Weekends… always over too soon. At least this one is a long one.

We share a lot of the same definitions of perfection for the fin-de-semaine… I would trade “walking” for “running” though. I like to get out of the city and go for walks on trails or by the water. I also like to visit new neighbourhoods and just walk and walk and explore.

One of the thing I love most about visiting your blog is that it reminds me what a cool place I live in. Whenever I get homesick for BC it helps to remember that Montreal is completely awesome in a totally different way. So thanks for that, neighbour!

9. March 31, 2010 7:31 pm

You rphotos are amazing! I am so happy to have wandered upon your blog; I will be following it and can’ t wait for more!

10. April 1, 2010 4:20 pm

hello, hello. wonderful list. i really, really wish i could get into running….but i just haven’t yet. however, i totally agree with the yoga and coffee shop.

might i add:

-discovering a new favorite cheese, or wine, or both.
    -wandering about the farmer’s market.
    -not having any homework, which is unfortunately rare right now.
    -lying in the hammock and laughing when my giant dog tries to get in, too. he’s so determined.
    -going to the garden center. i got blissfully lost in one last weekend and came home with a boatload of new plants. here’s hoping i don’t kill them.
    -cooking a proper breakfast.

i’m going up to brooklyn this weekend and busting out my newly acquired pentax k1000 for the 1st time. don’t really know what i’m doing. should be a blast!

11. April 8, 2010 9:02 pm

Great photos here. LOVE the Fish and Chips shot. Looks killer.

12. April 13, 2010 10:41 am

there’s a great park here for people watching, so lately we grab some drinks to go and sit on the grass. Lately my favorite thing 🙂