captured on film

October 9, 2009

polaroid taken by the lovely and talented kristen

I am usually the girl with a camera glued to her face whenever she gets the chance but I am the same girl that feels very uncomfortable having the lens pointed in her direction.  When it is, I strike a gigantic smile that takes up my entire face.  Click.  Another photo of me with a big ass smile. Same smile, different location.  Not that there’s anything wrong with that.  I am pro smiling and I love my big ass cheshire grin.  But put me in a photo shoot and you would be hard pressed to tame “the smile”.  It can’t be helped.  It comes mainly from the insecurity of not being the most photogenic person on the planet and by not photogenic, I mean that I look like a total strung out dude when I’m serious.  Which would be okay if, you know, I were a strung out dude.

So imagine my joy when I saw this photo of me, taken by the very lovely and talented Kristen.  I was unaware of her snapping this shot and because I was unaware, she was able to capture me as me (with extra pola milky magic).  The elusive Jeaninus canadensis in her native habitat.  Seeing myself with a camera seems like the most natural thing in the world and something clicked (pun intended… it’s pun friday, didn’t you know?).  This is something I’m really passionate about.  Behind the lens is where I go to forget and and while I’m out there seeking beauty, I find peace of mind because everything zooms into the moment and focuses on right now.

I’ve been feeling nervous lately because my cousin asked me to take pictures at her wedding this weekend.  And I’m not one to take portraits.  Since I don’t like having the lens pointed at my face, I don’t really know how to make people feel comfortable in front of the camera.  And weddings are all about the portraits, people.  Luckily, there will be another photographer there so I decided I’d let him take care of setting people up.   I’ll be the one shooting the hands, the feet, the little details, the candid, the silly,  the secret moments when people are unaware of the click.  At least, this is my hope.  I might only get a bunch of big ass Caron smiles and that’s okay too because we’re going to be one helluva happy family and that’s just how we do.

1. leonie permalink
    October 9, 2009 10:45 am

oh girl… i just know you are going to capture the beauty in every moment & have a blast doin’ it.

xx

2. Alison permalink
    October 9, 2009 11:23 am

I just love the species Jeaninus canadensis. It’s very rare and that makes it all the more special. And it must not be tamed or changed in any way cuz “that’s how she does”.

3. October 9, 2009 1:37 pm

you are easy on the lens my friend. and you will definitely capture the wedding in the way that you do…pure magic. xx

4. October 9, 2009 4:42 pm

oh hon, you will do fantastic. I know you will – just tell them to do something silly, like make the bride say her husband’s name a few times and it will bring the most beautiful smile to her face.

5. October 9, 2009 7:48 pm

Oh, girl. I totally get this. This summer I did my first portrait session of a couple who was pregnant. I have a pit in my stomach just thinking about all of those feelings that surfaced as I pulled into their driveway.
    But wouldn’t ya know, they were pleased with the shoot and I was able to tuck all of the insecurities away 🙂

Everything you photograph is crazy beautiful. Everything.
    I’m excited to see what you capture, whether it be big ass smiles or secret moments because it will be magic.
    XO,
    Jamie

6. jen gray permalink
    October 10, 2009 8:15 am

rock it sista!!!xo

7. karin permalink
    October 10, 2009 10:48 pm

Don’t know what you’re talking about. You’re about the most photogenic person ever…hel-low. Are you serious? If your photos of gnome and Wilbur are any indication—-wedding? slam/dunk.

8. kat permalink
    October 11, 2009 8:02 am

i concur hmhm photos taken by Jeanine=unique and beautiful perspective
    oh and you is too sexy not to get your picture taken
    LOVE