34 things to do before i turn 35 (yikes)
Today I turn 34 years old and I wish someone could explain to me how the hell that happened because last time I checked, I was 13, lounging by my friend’s pool, listening to this song, crushing on Tom Cruise (I know, I know), studying for Home Ec and eating vanilla fudge drumsticks, purchased with my hard earned strawberry-picking money.
Twenty years later, I eat organic soy cream and I’ve traded in my crush for a less eccentric model and I try not to worry and be happy but my how things have changed.
Still, 33 was mighty good to me and I am sorry to see it go. 33 was a giant growth spurt and a stagnant pool, it felt like a thousand years and the blink of an eye, the beginning of one part of me and the end of another, ripe with lessons and lacking discipline, it was crossing things off the life list and homework left undone and messy on the table, it was the punctuation mark on 32 and is the dot-dot-dot leading to 34.
My birthday, more than New Year’s, is a time to take stock and make goals. An opportunity to start all over while being grateful for the year that fueled this next part of the journey. I was inspired by many other bloggers to create a list for myself, of things to aspire to pre-35. I like lists, I like scratching things off, makes me feel productive. So here’s a somewhat idealistic one. I hope to scratch many of these items off by this time next year but realize that I may be biting off more than I can chew. And that’s okay, because it’s my birthday and I can do what I want to.
- finish my travel posts. sheesh. it’s taking me long enough.
fly a kite, ideally on a beachdid this in 2011
- learn a new word every single day
- go back to school. does taking 2 writing classes and quitting one mid-semester technically count?
- reach the top of a 5.11 grade rock climbing wall. close enough. made it to 5.10 then my climbing partner went and got herself pregnant and i haven’t been back since.
- try a nia class
- bang on my bongos, with actual rhythm
- travel to Thailand or Iceland or Morocco or Ireland. iceland, oh iceland.
- get another tattoo. appointment scheduled for next thursday.
- explore more abandoned buildings.
- purchase a funky retro dress
- see a new performance by la tohu. saw psy in february.
- buy a macro or wide angle lens. i purchased a pentax k1000 instead, which is even better
- get a massage or acupuncture or osteo treatment once a month.
hop on a metro, stop at a station i’ve never been to before and explore new area(done april 2011)
- do this yoga pose.
- read one book a month (doesn’t sound like much, but trust me, it’s more than i’ve read in years)
- spend a night on a roof taking photos with karl and roma. so much fun
- continue to treat myself to a flower a week
- hide love notes around the city
- perfect witty repartee. a work in progress
drink a milkshake at wilensky’si found out that milkshakes are essentially milk with sweet syrup flavoring. i went, i sat at the bar with leonie and had a soda. i do not feel the need to ever go again.
- submit writing anywhere and everywhere. published in the fall issue of somerset life
- enter a photography contest. not technically, but i did have photos on display in this show
- attend squam. and it was amazing
- ride a bike in the country (take portraits of women in colorful skirts in tall grasses at sunset)
go snowboarding at least once this winter(done february 2011)
- send more “out of the blue” postcards.
- join 100 strangers. started this project in iceland and nyc. will upload photos soon
- organize and catalogue my photos (delete the bad ones).
- get new glasses.
- complete at least half of the projects in this book
- go sailing
- don’t worry, be happy.